In order for your move to be successful, careful planning and organization are required. Unfortunately, the list of things that need to be done when moving to a new house seems to be endless and complicated. In such a case, you need every assistance you can get to get things done properly and without losing your mind.
Here, in this article, we’ll give you a checklist of everything you need to make your move as smooth as possible.
- Getting help from reliable movers
Moving on your own can be extremely stressful, especially if it’s done in large cities like New York City. Thus, hiring a good moving company NYC can be an ideal option. To ensure the success of your house move, you need to find a licensed and insured mover who’s also reputable. Although the hiring process appears to be a very challenging task, it’ll not be difficult at all if you know how to look for the legitimate ones. Whether you’re relocating locally or across the border, let the best professionals handle the aspects of your move.
- Cutting down of possessions
Another essential thing to prepare is the reduction of the number of items you’re bringing with you. Moving is the perfect time to go through all of your stuff and get rid of everything unnecessary. You should take only those belongings that you intend to use in the future.
- Gathering of proper packing materials
Packing your items on your own can be a great way to keep more money in your pocket when moving. To do that, you’ll need an adequate amount of packing supplies to begin the packing process. Get hold of materials such as cardboard boxes of different sizes, bubble wrap, tapes, blankets, and markers.
- Obtaining of school/medical records
Relocating to a new home located in another town or another country requires a change of school for your children. In order to enroll them at the new school, you have to get their school records. In addition to school documents, an interstate move also requires you to look for a new family doctor. Gather your medical records so you can register with a new health care provider.
Packing for a move takes a lot of time and energy. Thus, the earlier you can start, the better. Walk through around your house and pack items by room to stay organized. Once everything is complete, seal your boxes with tapes and label them accordingly.
- Transfer of utilities
There’s nothing more frustrating than arriving at your new home without electricity and running water in place. In such a case, one of the most important things to prepare when moving is the transfer of your utilities. Call your utility providers to ask them to disconnect the services in your old place, and schedule reconnection in the new one. If you’re moving across the country, you’re going to look for new utility companies in your area.
- Change of address
It’s essential to change your postal address before the moving day to make sure that no mail delivery will be interrupted during the transition. So, visit your local post office and fill in a change of address form. You can also visit the official website of the United States Postal Service to get started.
- Home improvement and maintenance
Aside from the moving tasks, you should also pay attention to your new home’s improvement and maintenance efforts. Below is the list of things that you should do to make your new abode a comfortable place after moving:
- Change of locks – If you want to make sure you’re the only person who has access to your new home, call a locksmith right away and get your locks replaced.
- Replacement or installation of security features – In addition to locks, functional security alarms, and other elements should be there in your new home. Before you move in, check your new place and see if you need to replace the existing one or replace the system completely.
- Locating of main water valve or fuse box – In case of emergencies, finding the main water valve and the fuse box is important. If you’re going to fix an electricity or water issue, you need to turn off the supply. That’s why it’s essential to know the location of the water valve and fuse box.
- Replacement of air filters – It’s vital to replace air filters to improve the quality of air flow in your new home. It’ll also keep your heating and air conditioning system from using more energy, which can cause an increase in your power bills.
So, there you have it. Now that you’re aware of the things to prepare when moving to NYC or other large cities, it’s time to book your movers NYC and set the move-in date. With the help of these professionals, your relocation will undoubtedly become a huge success.